Thanks everyone - it was great to meet you all - very inspiring and a lot of fun.
Very best of luck to Neil and Rich in the Yukon, looking forward to hearing all about it.
See you all at Pony XP I hope, running if calf has healed or on the checkpoints if I'm still in the pool/bike!
I just wanted to say ‘thanks very much’ for a great weekend in the Isle of Wight. (I was the tall chap with the poles if you are wondering who I was.)
It is the first (and will not be the last) time I do one of your events – I’ve already entered the Ridgeway based on last weekend. I liked the ethos in that the really fast runners had a chance to rattle round the island at a fast pace, club/recreational runners could do it at their pace, people like me could get round a bit slower and you had some that were doing bits of the course and thus exploring their current limits. This is far different than having rigid touch cut-offs so some get stopped early. You had a set up where there was something for everyone which is quite unique in ultra-distance races I’ve come across to date.
I though the map/route card / signs on the island where fine (I did get lost a little on Day 1 a little but such is life – all miles are good miles!) – your extra signs were welcome at some points though!
The things I’ll really remember…
• The easy going nature of registration on the Friday and the nice touch of bringing round ear plugs and sweets.
• The fun of the event.
• The friendliness of the CP crews and the helpfulness of filling up bladders etc. – second to none and could not do more to help people on their way. I’ve been to many events and this is the first one where at every CP the CP crew are falling over themselves to get your bladder filled for you! This is a welcome touch.
• Also the CP crews when going between CPs where friendly (thinking the chap on the bike) and asking how people were doing.
• The friendliness on the Sat evening and the general camaraderie between everyone regardless of being fast or slow.
• A good weekend and a good chance to do a new route.
The event was amazing, fantastic, superb, brilliant and a complete and utter joy to take part in.
Congratulations to the organisers and to everyone involved. Every time we passed a food station myself and a buddy remarked how cold the marshals and volunteers must have been! A special thanks to them.
I was delighted I got to participate in the event. Thank you so much for a truly wonderful and memorable experience. It ranks way up there.