Alps Training Seminar 2018 - Helping you conquer your Alpine races (including UTMB®)
One day; seven experienced speakers. We'll help you succeed in the toughest conditions!
Hear from experienced UTMB®, TDS®, CCC® and OCC® competitors and Alpine racing experts on what it takes to complete some of the world's most challenging events. You'll also be able to get your medical certificate signed and stamped (limited to 20 people). If you've entered any of the UTMB® races, or thinking of signing up next year, this is the event for you!
Join us for a day of UTMB® experts sharing their knowledge, experience and tips for the biggest ultra trail race week of the year!
More than 50% of British competitors don't cross the finish line for events they start in UTMB® week. We want to change that, by making sure you have the right knowledge to prepare, the right kit, and - more importantly - the right expectations when heading to the Alps.
Our 2017 seminar had great feedback - and 85% of attendees finished their races during event week.
We'll also be running a breakout session to help supporters, family and friends to enjoy the experience.
Date: 3rd March 2018
Location: Chartridge Conference Centre, Chartridge Ln, Chesham HP5 2TU
Travel: Chesham is at the end of the Metropolitan Line (London Underground). From Chesham station, it's roughly a four mile taxi ride to the conference centre. By car, it's in easy reach of the M25, M40 and M1.
Cost: £75 for the day
Medical certificate signing and stamping: £35 (max 20)
- 'Main tent' sessions in the main room for all attendees
- Breakout sessions in the afternoon, specific to each race
- Medical certificate sessions available throughout the day
- A special UTMB lunch (included in the ticket price)
- A full Q&A to finish the day.
- Damian Hall - 12th overall male at UTMB 2017
- Anna-Marie Watson - UTMB 2017's 7th overall lady
- Neil Thubron – finisher of UTMB 2010 and 2011, TDS 2012, and OCC 2017
- Laura Watson – Event Doctor and ultra runner
Break out speakers
- UTMB - Dan De Belder – finisher of five UTMBs and one CCC
- CCC - David Byrne – finisher 2016
- TDS - Megan James – finisher 2017
- OCC - Neil Thubron – finisher 2017
- Supporters session - Ben Psaila – supported Anna-Maria in 2017
Anna Thubron – supported Neil in 2010, 2012 and 2017
- Understanding the events, and understanding the Alps
- Preparing physically, mentally and emotionally
- Kit required: 'pack right, not light'
- What to expect when you arrive in Chamonix or Courmayeur
- Pre-race prep
- Racing: what to expect enroute
- How to handle the tough times: physically, the weather, fatigue, sickness, etc
- Help for supporters: how to get around and how to support your competitor
- Dealing with typical medical issues enroute, and how to deal with blisters properly.
About our speakers
Anna-Marie has been diagnosed with a severe ultra-running habit and can usually be found searching for the perfect trail. Her first foray into ultra-running was the CCC (2008) where she narrowly scrapped through every check point with minutes to spare. Fast forward to 2017, where she successfully completed the UTMB placing 7th lady, 5th Brit, and in the top 100 overall.
Over the last nine years, she’s combined her passion for running with travel taking part in the Half Marathon des Sables Fuerteventura (2017) - finishing 1st lady, the Marathon des Sables (2015) where she finished 2nd lady, the Ultra Trail World Tour (UTWT) Cappadocia Ultra (2016) 1st lady, as well as running closer to home through most of the XNRG series.
Anna-Marie occasionally crosses over into the dark-side of triathlon and participated in the IRONMAN 70.3 AG World Championships (2013 and 2014). She’s been supported by the French ultra endurance company WAA (What An Adventure) since the beginning of 2016.